Rev. Fr. Louis Savinien Dupuis was born in France at Sens on the 18th of August 1806 as a second son to Mr. Edme Louis Dupuis and Mrs.Victorie Remy. Fr. Louis was given the early education in a Jesuit School and the higher education at Sens under the Sebastenien Fathers.
His service mindedness and the readiness to sacrifice were glimpsed by many. The deep love he experienced for the mankind motivated him to join the Seminary at Sens. Fr. Louis was ordained as a Priest by then Bishop Most Rev. Dupan on 25th April 1829. In the year 1830, he was appointed as the Procurator of the Seminary at Sens and the secretary to the archbishop of Sens. He was also a chaplain of a Sisters Convent. After having worked for two years in the native land, he joined the Foreign Missionary Society of Paris (MEP) on the 25th of May 1831. Realizing his sense of responsibility and mission zeal he was sent to Pondicherry where he was assigned the charge of the Seminary and the mission press.
Fr. Louis reached Pondicherry on Mission to India on 9th April 1832. He was appointed as the Parish Priest of St. Mary’s Basilica, Bangalore from 1832 to1840. During the eight years of his mission in Bangalore, Fr. Louis authored a number of books all of which depicting the spiritual essence. Witnessing the deep spirituality and ardent love for the humanity, the Bishop of Pondicherry Most Rev.Herbert appointed Fr. Louis as the Director and Professor in the Petit Seminary, Pondicherry to guide the young aspiring priests.
In order to propagate the Catechism of the Catholic Church against the fictitious preaching Fr.Louis involved himself in writing. The inbound wisdom and the gifted writing skills made Fr. Louis an excellent writer. Though he was from the French origin Fr. Louis became proficient in Tamil, Kannada and Telugu during his mission in India. During the period when Fr.Louis was the manager of the Mission Press (1840-1874).he wrote a number of books and published them. He authored the Tamil to French to Tamil dictionary, published many articles in various Magazines, wrote, translated and compiled a number of books on Catholic belief, especially Chinnakurippidam which is still now used by all children for the preparation of the First Holy Communion. Fr. Louis used the Print media as a tool to spread the Good News.
Fr.Louis started the Vincent De Paul Society in Pondicherry in 1851 and the Mother of Perpetual Help Fraternity Society in the year 1868.
In 1844 the Priests of the Synod of Pondicherry strongly felt the need for women Education for Evangelization. Having witnessed the miserable situation of Indian women during those days Fr. Louis contemplated on ways to change the scenario. A Congregation of sisters was the brainchild of Fr. Louis. The Synod accepted the proposal of Fr. Louis and resolved to start a Congregation of Indian sister for the education of indigenous women. During the reign of Pope Gregory the 16th , Most Rev. Bishop Bonnan gave the permission to start a Congregation of Sisters. When education was denied for women in India, Fr.Louis kept in forefront the movement for women education and started the Immaculate Congregation on the 16th of October 1844. The first members of the Congregation included Mother Theresa from the Cloistered Convent, a novice from the same convent and two other candidates. The founder inculcated on the first members the love for the poor, simple living and the zeal to educate the women as main objectives of the Congregation. His priority for women education becomes prominent in the fact that the first formal school for the Education of girls the Immaculate school was started on the very next day.
Fr. Dupuis himself took care of the new Congregation. With much thinking and meditation Fr. Dupuis drafted the Constitutions of the Congregation and obtained its approval from His Holiness Pope IX in 1864. Later the growth of the congregation could not be curbed by the adversary though tried hard. Fr. Dupuis established schools at different places in and around Pondicherry. 30 years education and spiritual growth sisters
Rev.Fr. Dupuis was called to his eternal reward on the 4th June 1874.